Ribbons are not just for wrapping gifts, they are also great for making crafts! We have 25 amazing ribbon crafts and art projects for you to try, ranging from simple to complex, easy to challenging. You can make beautiful diy satin ribbon reeds flowers or cute diy prize ribbon gift toppers with your colorful ribbons. There are so many fun and creative ways to use ribbons in your crafts.
Whether you are new to crafting or an expert, you will find easy ribbon craft ideas to suit your skill level and taste. Each project comes with clear step-by-step instructions, and some also have pdf guides and video tutorials to help you along the way. You will have a blast learning new techniques and making stunning crafts with ribbons.
Don’t wait any longer, start your ribbon adventure now! You can transform ordinary ribbons into extraordinary crafts, like a whimsical diy rainbow ribbon magic wand or a chic upcycled planter with velvet ribbon. These fun and easy ribbon crafts will brighten up your day and impress your friends and family.
How to Make Ribbon Crafts: A Beginner’s Guide
Ribbon crafts are a great way to express your creativity and add some color and charm to your life. Whether you want to make a gift for someone special, decorate your home, or accessorize your outfit, ribbon crafts can help you achieve your goals. Learn the basics of ribbon crafts, such as:
- What are ribbon crafts, and why are they popular?
- What are the different types of ribbons, and how to choose the best ones for your projects?
- What are the essential tools and materials you need to start making ribbon crafts?
- How to prepare your ribbons and cut them to the right size and shape?
- How to join, fold, twist, curl, and shape your ribbons into various designs?
- How to finish and embellish your ribbon crafts with glue, stitches, buttons, beads, etc.?
By the end of this guide, you will have a solid foundation of ribbon crafts and be ready to make your own beautiful creations. Let’s get started!
What are ribbon crafts and why are they popular?
Ribbon crafts are any crafts that use ribbons as the main material or as an accent. Ribbons are long, narrow strips of fabric that come in various colors, patterns, textures, and widths. They are usually made of silk, satin, cotton, polyester, or nylon.
Ribbon crafts are popular because they are:
- Easy. You don’t need a lot of skills or experience to make ribbon crafts. You can use simple techniques like cutting, gluing, folding, and twisting to create stunning results.
- Versatile. You can use ribbons to make a wide range of crafts, such as flowers, bows, wreaths, embroidery, jewelry, bookmarks, hair accessories, and more. You can also combine ribbons with other materials like paper, felt, wood, metal, etc.
- Affordable. You don’t need a lot of money to buy ribbons. You can find them in craft stores, online shops, or even in your own closet. You can also reuse and recycle old ribbons from clothes, gifts, or other sources.
- Fun. You can have a lot of fun making ribbon crafts. You can experiment with different colors, patterns, and styles to express your personality and mood. You can also make ribbon crafts with your friends and family as a bonding activity.
What are the different types of ribbons and how to choose the best ones for your projects?
There are many types of ribbons available in the market. Each type has its own characteristics and advantages. Here are some of the most common types of ribbons and how to choose the best ones for your projects:
- Satin ribbon. This is one of the most popular types of ribbons. It has a smooth and shiny surface that reflects light well. It is also soft and flexible, making it easy to work with. Satin ribbon is ideal for making elegant and sophisticated ribbon crafts like flowers, bows, embroidery, etc.
- Grosgrain ribbon. This is another popular type of ribbons. It has a ribbed texture that gives it a sturdy and durable feel. It is also less prone to fraying and wrinkling than satin ribbon. Grosgrain ribbon is ideal for making casual and playful ribbon crafts like hair clips, bookmarks, bracelets, etc.
- Organza ribbon. This is a type of sheer ribbon that has a transparent and delicate appearance. It is also lightweight and airy, making it suitable for adding volume and dimension to your ribbon crafts. Organza ribbon is ideal for making romantic and whimsical ribbon crafts like wreaths, garlands, fairy wings, etc.
- Velvet ribbon. This is a type of plush ribbon that has a soft and fuzzy surface that feels cozy and warm. It is also rich and luxurious, making it perfect for adding texture and contrast to your ribbon crafts. Velvet ribbon is ideal for making festive and glamorous ribbon crafts like ornaments, gift wrapping, necklaces, etc.
These are just some of the types of ribbons you can use for your projects. There are many more types of ribbons you can explore online or in craft stores.
When choosing ribbons for your projects, you should consider the following factors:
- The width of the ribbon. The width of the ribbon affects how much ribbon you need, how easy it is to manipulate, and how the final product looks. Generally, wider ribbons are more suitable for larger and bolder projects, while narrower ribbons are more suitable for smaller and finer projects. You can also mix and match different widths of ribbons to create interesting effects.
- The color of the ribbon. The color of the ribbon affects the mood and style of your ribbon crafts. You can choose colors that match your theme, occasion, or personal preference. You can also use contrasting or complementary colors to create drama and harmony. You can also use multicolored or patterned ribbons to add variety and fun.
- The quality of the ribbon. The quality of the ribbon affects how well it holds its shape, how long it lasts, and how comfortable it feels. Generally, higher quality ribbons are more expensive but also more durable and smooth. Lower quality ribbons are cheaper but also more prone to fading, fraying, and wrinkling. You should choose the quality of the ribbon that suits your budget and purpose.
These are some of the factors you should consider when choosing ribbons for your projects. Of course, you can also experiment with different types and combinations of ribbons to find what works best for you.
The Ultimate List of Ribbon Craft Supplies You Need
To make ribbon crafts, you will need some basic tools and materials that will help you cut, join, shape, and embellish your ribbons. Here is a list of the essential supplies you need to start making ribbon crafts:
- Scissors. You will need a simple pair of sharp scissors to cut your ribbons to the desired length and shape. You can use regular scissors or craft scissors that have different blades to create decorative edges.
- Glue. You will need glue to attach your ribbons to each other or to other materials. You can use hot glue, fabric glue, or craft glue depending on your preference and project.
- Needle and thread. You will need a needle and thread to sew your ribbons together or to add stitches for decoration or reinforcement. You can use a sewing machine or a hand needle depending on your skill level and project.
- Wire. You will need wire to add structure and support to your ribbon crafts. You can use floral wire, craft wire, or jewelry wire depending on your project. You can also use wire cutters to cut the wire to the right size.
- Pins. You will need pins to hold your ribbons in place while you work on them. You can use sewing pins, safety pins, or push pins depending on your project.
- Ruler. You will need a ruler to measure your ribbons and ensure they are cut evenly and accurately. You can use a regular ruler or a tape measure depending on your project.
- Iron. You will need an iron to smooth out any wrinkles or creases in your ribbons before or after you work on them. You can use a regular iron or a mini iron depending on your project.
- Embellishments. You will need embellishments to add some sparkle and flair to your ribbon crafts. You can use buttons, beads, sequins, rhinestones, charms, feathers, flowers, etc.
These are some of the basic supplies you need to make ribbon crafts. Of course, you can also use other tools and materials that you have at home or find in craft stores.
How to Make a Ribbon Flower in 5 Easy Steps
One of the easiest and most popular ribbon crafts is making a ribbon flower. Ribbon flowers are versatile and beautiful, and you can use them to decorate your hair accessories, clothing, bags, gifts, etc.
Here is how you can make a simple ribbon flower in 5 easy steps:
- Cut a piece of ribbon about 12 inches long.
- Fold the ribbon in half lengthwise and sew along the open edge with a running stitch.
- Pull the thread gently to gather the ribbon into a ruffle.
- Roll the ruffle into a spiral shape starting from one end.
- Secure the end with glue or stitch.
You have just made a lovely ribbon flower! You can make more flowers with different colors and sizes of ribbons. Also, add some embellishments like buttons or beads in the center of the flower.
How to Improve Your Ribbon Craft Skills with These Expert Tips
If you want to take your ribbon craft skills to the next level, here are some expert tips that will help you improve your techniques and results:
- Use quality ribbons. Choose ribbons that are smooth, durable, and colorfast. Avoid ribbons that are stiff, frayed, or faded. Quality ribbons will make your ribbon crafts look more professional and last longer.
- Use the right tools. Use sharp scissors, strong glue, fine needle and thread, and clean iron. Avoid tools that are dull, weak, coarse, or dirty. The right tools will make your ribbon crafts easier and neater.
- Use the right techniques. Use appropriate techniques for cutting, joining, shaping, and embellishing your ribbons. Avoid techniques that are sloppy, inconsistent, or damaging. The right techniques will make your ribbon crafts more attractive and secure.
- Practice regularly. Practice your ribbon craft skills as often as you can. Try new projects, experiment with different ribbons, and learn from your mistakes. Practice will make your ribbon craft skills more proficient and confident.
These are some of the expert tips that will help you improve your ribbon craft skills. You can also watch online tutorials, read craft blogs, or join craft classes to learn more tips and tricks.
How to Use Ribbon Crafts to Beautify Your Home
Ribbon crafts are not only fun to make but also useful to beautify your home. You can use ribbon crafts to add some color, charm, and personality to your living space. Here are some ways you can use ribbon crafts to beautify your home:
- Hang them on the wall. You can hang your ribbon crafts on the wall as art pieces or decorations. You can use frames, hooks, nails, or tape to display your ribbon crafts on the wall. You can also arrange them in patterns, clusters, or collages to create visual interest.
- Place them on the table. You can place your ribbon crafts on the table as centerpieces or accents. You can use trays, bowls, vases, or baskets to hold your ribbon crafts on the table. You can also mix them with other items like candles, flowers, or fruits to create contrast and harmony.
- Drape them on the furniture. You can drape your ribbon crafts on the furniture as covers or accessories. You can use ties, clips, pins, or velcro to attach your ribbon crafts on the furniture. You can also layer them with other fabrics like blankets, pillows, or curtains to create texture and warmth.
- Wrap them around the objects. You can wrap your ribbon crafts around the objects as embellishments or transformations. You can use glue, tape, wire, or string to secure your ribbon crafts around the objects. You can also twist them into shapes like hearts, stars, or letters to create meaning and fun.
These are some of the ways you can use ribbon crafts to beautify your home. You can also find more ideas online or in craft books and magazines.
How to Fix Common Ribbon Craft Mistakes and Problems
Ribbon crafts are easy and enjoyable to make but sometimes they can also go wrong. You may encounter some common mistakes and problems while making ribbon crafts such as:
- The ribbon is too short or too long. If you cut the ribbon too short or too long for your project, you can fix it by either adding more ribbon or trimming the excess ribbon. You can also use a ribbon joiner or a glue gun to connect two pieces of ribbon together. Alternatively, you can adjust your design to fit the length of the ribbon you have.
- The ribbon is wrinkled or creased. If your ribbon is wrinkled or creased, you can fix it by ironing it gently with a low heat setting. You can also use a hair dryer or a steamer to smooth out the wrinkles or creases. Make sure to test the heat on a small piece of ribbon first to avoid damaging it.
- The ribbon is frayed or torn. If your ribbon is frayed or torn, you can fix it by applying some clear nail polish or fray check to the edges of the ribbon. You can also use a lighter or a candle to lightly singe the edges of the ribbon. Be careful not to burn yourself or the ribbon.
- The ribbon is loose or sagging. If your ribbon is loose or sagging, you can fix it by tightening or securing it with glue, stitches, pins, or clips. You can also use wire or starch to add some stiffness and structure to your ribbon.
- The ribbon is faded or stained. If your ribbon is faded or stained, you can fix it by dyeing it with fabric dye or food coloring. You can also use bleach or stain remover to lighten or remove the stains. Follow the given instructions on the product labels and rinse the ribbon well after treating it.
These are some of the common ribbon craft mistakes and problems and how to fix them. You can also find more solutions online or in craft books and magazines. Don’t let these mistakes and problems discourage you from making ribbon crafts. Remember, practice makes perfect!
Ribbon Crafts You Can Try Today
If you are looking for some inspiration and ideas for your next ribbon craft project, here are amazing ribbon crafts that you can try today:
1. DIY Prize Ribbon Gift Toppers
Add the perfect finishing touch to your gifts with beautiful DIY prize ribbon gift toppers! Make lovely silk ribbons in delicious pastel color palettes with just a few simple materials.
You only need cardstock, a 1″ circle punch, ribbons, scissors, a hot glue gun and some gift bags. Step-by-step instructions make it easy to make these small prize ribbon gift toppers that will look stunning and be sure to impress the recipient of your carefully crafted gifts! housethatbuilt
2. How to Decorate Balloons With Ribbons
Make your next special occasion unique and memorable with DIY decorated balloons with ribbons centerpieces. From birthdays to anniversaries, these plain balloons are extra festive for any celebration when you customize them with the Brother P-touch Embellish ELITE ribbon & tape printer. P-touch embellish ~1″ Wide satin ribbons.
Use the label printer to add any message you want or even make custom ribbons to make it stand out. Gather up some 9″ latex balloons, balloon sticks, pom-pom trim, rickrack trim, hot glue and scissors –and get ready for a great time! designimprovised
3. Ribbon Lion Puppet Craft for Kids
Bring out the inner artist in your kids and make an adorable yet fierce-looking Lion Puppet Craft! Kids will love makingsomething of their imagination with this fun DIY ribbon lion puppet craft. All you need is some colorful ribbon and basic supplies to start. This craft has endless possibilities, perfect for crafting all kinds of cute animals.
Let your kids unleash their creativity as they make one-of-a-kind puppet creations that they can proudly display or play with afterward. So grab those ribbons and start making memories today! easypeasyfun
4. DIY Halloween Ribbon Wreath
It’s time to make something spooky! Make your own DIY Halloween ribbon wreath with this easy-to-follow tutorial. Get creative and use assorted ribbons in traditional holiday colors to make a fun mixture of whatever ribbons you want for your wreath.
This festive decoration will be perfect for your Halloween decor, whether orange, black, or purple. So grab some ribbon and start crafting — hang up your creation and enjoy! craftsbyamanda
5. Easy Paper Award Ribbon Craft
This easy and kid-friendly DIY paper award ribbon craft makes anyone’s day extra special! Perfect for Father’s Day or any day you want to show someone your appreciation. You only need two sheets of red paper, yellow paper, a black marker, scissors, and glue.
Your little ones will love makingthese fun award ribbons at home or in the classroom – it’s a great way to make someone feel special! Get creative and have some crafting fun today! easypeasyfun
6. DIY Washi Tape Ribbons Wand
A magical DIY washi tape ribbons wand that’s sure to delight your kids! You can make this a fun craft activity with just a few pieces of washi tape and simple knot-tying. It doesn’t take long to learn; once you do, you’ll have a beautiful wand in no time.
Whether it’s for imaginative play or as part of a costume, this easy project will put smiles on the faces of your little ones. Get creative with colors and patterns – they’ll love making unique wands! simplycraftedlife
7. Easy Art to Do With Ribbons
Make beautiful DIY art with ribbons that add a charming touch to your home decor! Crafting projects made with ribbons doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult. Put together an easy tutorial for those wanting to try ribbon art – all you need are dollar-store supplies, scrap wood and some basic crafting skills.
Get creative and use whatever colors of ribbons you like best, then add a pretty embellishment in the center of your design – it’ll look amazing hung on the wall or placed standing on an entry table or mantel! southerncrush
8. Rainbow Wreath Craft Project
Spread joy and cheer with this colorful DIY rainbow wreath craft project! Perfect for party decor, kids’ crafts, St Patty’s Day and more, you can bring bright, bold colors into your craft room.
This quick and easy project requires a few simple supplies – foam wreath, large sharp knife, pen, assorted ribbon (½ inch-5 yards), hot glue gun (or all-purpose glue), scissors, glue dots and white cardstock. So creative that everyone will think it was made by a professional! crazycraftlady
9. Trendy Upcycled Planters With Velvet Ribbon
Welcome to a world of style and sustainability with modern upcycled planters With velvet ribbon. These unique indoor planters perfectly combine beauty, affordability and convenience.
They look great and offer ample storage space for all your desktop needs – a stylish DIY that perfectly fits any decor! Upcycling is good for the environment, so you can feel good while looking amazing at home. Get creative with these trendy velvet ribbon-lined upcycled planters today! pillarboxblue
10. Easy DIY Ribbon Bookmarks
Make your Valentine’s Day gift special with these cute and easy DIY ribbon bookmarks! Crafting this simple yet beautiful gift for your loved one will be a breeze. With a quick tutorial, you can make the bookmarks in just minutes.
Plus, they are pretty cheap to make too! This is an ideal gift idea for any holiday, so show that special someone how much you care by giving them this thoughtful crafty present. sparklesofsunshine
11. Make Your Own Fourth of July Ribbon Wreath
Celebrate the Fourth of July in style with this easy DIY ribbon wreath! It’s quick and simple to make so that anyone can do it – and you can customize it with whatever colors you like to reflect holidays or seasons.
Perfect for your front door, this wreath doesn’t cost a lot but will give you an impressive decoration for your home. Make one today and show off your creative side! abeautifulmess
12. DIY Rainbow Ribbon Magic Wand
Make magical moments come alive with this easy DIY rainbow ribbon magic wand! Perfect for birthday parties, costume props or dress-up toys for pretend play and open-ended fun.
Craft your wands with white glimmer felt, a star cookie cutter, fabric marker, rainbow ribbon, wooden dowels (¼ X 12 inches), gold tinsel cord and a low temp glue gun – what could be more delightful? These whimsical creations make great favors to give away too. Get ready to bring smiles all around with these sparkly fairy wand toys! rhythmsofplay
13. Simple DIY Ribbon Chandelier
Brighten up your living room with this oh-so-cute simple DIY ribbon chandelier! Its cheerful colors, and fabric strips will make an atmosphere that will bring a smile to everyone in the family.
Whether you have toddlers or teens, they’ll love this whimsical chandelier – and so will you! Not only is this ribbon chandelier delightful – but it’s also easy and fun to make. So why wait? Get creative and craft the happiest part of your home today! artbarblog
14. Making a Flowers Using Ribbon
Beautiful and unique DIY flowers with just satin ribbons, scissors, a lighter and needle & thread in just 5 minutes! Have fun making two colored satin ribbon flower accessories with supplies like felt, a hot glue gun and a large bead.
It’s easy to make smooth and glossy flowers that will add charm to any outfit or home decor. Enjoy crafting these stunning pieces quickly while expressing creativity – ready-made decorations have never looked so good! craftaholicwitch
15. Yarn and Ribbon Thanksgiving Turkey Craft
This Thanksgiving is extra special with a fun and creative craft! Get the kids involved in makingsomething that adds an adorable touch to your holiday décor. With the yarn and ribbon Turkey craft, they can make a super cute DIY turkey that will look perfect as part of your festive decorations.
This easy-to-make craft will surely be a hit among family members of all ages! It’s simple enough for even the youngest crafters to enjoy, making it the perfect activity for everyone on Thanksgiving day! heartcraftythings
16. Upcycled CD and Ribbon Jellyfish Craft
Let your children explore their creative side this summer with a fun and engaging DIY upcycled CD and ribbon jellyfish craft!
Kids will love how the layered tissue paper creates beautiful effects while they craft, perfect for home, school or daycare. This easy activity requires just a few simple supplies, including CDs, ribbons, tissue paper squares, glue and wiggly eyes – making it an ideal project for the whole family. With the help of some sponge brushes and a black permanent marker, you can make sure each jellyfish looks its best!
Finally, top it off with some curled ribbon to complete its look. Get crafting today and add some ocean-themed art to your home décor! firefliesmudpies
17. DIY Spring Ribbon Vases
Welcome to the world of DIY! This spring, make your beautiful ribbon vases with just a few simple materials in less than 30 minutes. Personalize the ribbons however you like – choose vibrant colors for an extra dose of cheerfulness!
Perfect for both Mother’s Day or teacher gifts, these easy-to-make vases will surely put a smile on anyone’s face. Get creative and customize each bouquet by adding unique touches like bows or knots that are special and personal to you. Your friends and family will love these handcrafted ribbon vases as much as you enjoy making them! designimprovised
18. Ribbon Art Projects
Amazing and unique wall art is now super trendy with this DIY ribbon art project! Make a pretty geometric heart ribbon art piece with supplies like canvas (9×12), ⅛″ grosgrain ribbon, an eyelet punch, double-sided tape and a geometric heart pattern.
This fun project allows you to customize your masterpiece in no time – perfect for sprucing up any living space or giving it to someone special. Get creative and start makingyour one-of-a-kind work of art today! scrapshoppe
19. DIY Curling Ribbon Wreath
A unique and vibrant decoration for your home this holiday season with our DIY curling ribbon wreath. With a few materials, you can make an easy-to-do wreath that stands out from the standard Christmas wreaths to decorate your door or wall in style.
Add a decorative ribbon bow to make your home dynamically different! The guide provides step-by-step instructions so you can quickly and easily craft this delightful decoration – it’s sure to be one of the highlights in any festive décor. fun365
20. Ribbon and Flower Crown Idea
This DIY ribbon and flower crown idea brings princess-style magic to any birthday party! Perfect for girls aged five and up, these beautiful crowns are quick and easy to make with just the right amount of flexibility, so they’re comfortable but have enough structure to hold their shape.
You will love seeing the joy on your little girl’s face when she puts on her handmade flower crown in pink, golden yellows, and decorated with flowers – it’ll make her feel extra special! Supplies are essential for this craft project – get creative by adding your touches like sparkles or ribbons – then let the festivities begin! aestheticnest
21. Make Curly Ribbon Hair Bows
Be the trendiest fashionista this summer with DIY curly ribbon hair bows! With these easy-to-follow instructions, you can make beautiful ringlets from a rainbow ribbon for stunning hair accessories. You’ll be amazed at how quickly this can make, and your friends will envy your unique style statement.
Plus, they’re perfect for any special occasion or everyday wear – no matter what look you want! Get creative and have fun with your curly ribbon hair bows – we guarantee you’ll be happy with the results. glorioustreats
22. DIY Wire Burlap Ribbon Wreath
A touch of beauty and color to your home with this DIY wire burlap ribbon wreath! An incredibly quick and easy way to make beautiful fall wreaths, you can customize the colors for any season or holiday.
With just a few basic supplies, you’ll have a simple DIY project that will provide awe-inspiring results. Enjoy makingan array of stunning ribbon creations in no time at all! houseonsilverado
23. DIY Doily and Ribbon Dream Catcher
Crafting your own DIY doily and ribbon dream catcher has never been easier! This project is perfect for anyone looking to get creative and have fun. With so much love involved, you’ll be sure to make something special that will impress everyone who sees it. Plus, it’s fast and easy, making the outcome even more impressive.
Not to mention how adorable your final product will look when all the doilies and ribbons come together in one cute dream catcher! Make this craft today for a great home décor piece or as an original gift idea. agirlandagluegun
24. Ribbon Heart Step-by-Step Craft
Do you want to add romantic charm to your home décor? Then the DIY ribbon heart origami craft is just the thing for you! This incredibly easy craft idea will make it look like you’ve spent hours makingsomething special when this project can be completed in minutes.
With its 3D effect, this ribbon heart looks realistic and beautiful – perfect for decorating any room quickly and with minimal effort. Why not try it today and find out how easy crafting can be?
25. DIY Satin Ribbon Reeds Flowers
Bring a unique and one-of-a-kind touch to your home decoration with DIY satin ribbon reeds flowers! This easy DIY craft uses only satin ribbon (1.5 or 2-inch size), floral wire, and double tape to make something truly special for your home.
You don’t need to have any crafting experience either – follow the simple steps, and soon enough, you’ll have some truly beautiful flowers! So why not give it a go? Make custom decorations with this incredible satin ribbon reeds flowers project!
Ribbon is a versatile and colorful material that can be used for many creative and fun crafts. You can make ribbon flowers, wreaths, hair bows, keychains, embroidery, chandeliers, and more with just a few simple tools and techniques. Ribbon crafts are great for adding some flair to your home decor, accessories, gifts, or celebrations.
You can also use ribbon to upcycle old items like CDs, lampshades, sunglasses, or flip-flops into new and beautiful creations. Ribbon crafts are easy to do for beginners and kids, and they can also challenge your skills and imagination. You can experiment with different types of ribbon, such as satin, grosgrain, organza, or lace, and mix and match colors and patterns to suit your style.
Also, you can embellish your ribbon crafts with buttons, beads, sequins, or other decorations to make them more unique and attractive. Ribbon crafts are a wonderful way to express your personality and creativity with a simple and affordable material. So grab your ribbon, scissors, glue, and needle, and get ready to have some fun with these 25 amazing DIY ribbon crafts you wanna try right now!