Sewing your own mittens is a fun and rewarding project. Learn how to sew mittens with 25 free mitten sewing patterns in many styles and materials, from flannel to fleece, from leather to fur. Each free mitten sewing pattern has detailed instructions and pictures to help you along the way. You can choose from different styles and materials, such as cozy flannel, soft fleece, or recycled sweaters.
These free mitten patterns are easy to print and follow, like the free printable snow mittens sewing pattern. You can also sew baby mittens with our free baby mittens sewing pattern, or make your own shearling mittens by hand. This collection of free mitten patterns to sew has something to suit everyone’s taste. Whether you want to make simple fur mittens or fancy sweater mittens, you will find the perfect project for you.
Don’t miss this opportunity to sew your own mittens for free. Just get your supplies ready, download the free mitten patterns you like, and start sewing. You will love making your own mittens and wearing them with pride. They will keep your hands warm and fashionable in any weather. Check out these 25 free mitten sewing patterns and get started today!
How to Choose the Right Fabric for Your Mitten Pattern
One of the most important decisions you need to make when sewing mittens is what fabric to use. The fabric will affect the warmth, comfort, and durability of your mittens, so you want to choose wisely. Here are some factors to consider when choosing your mitten fabric:
- Weight: You want a fabric that is not too thin or too thick for your mittens. A thin fabric may not provide enough insulation, while a thick fabric may be bulky and hard to sew. A medium-weight fabric is ideal for most mitten patterns.
- Stretch: You want a fabric that has some stretch to it, but not too much. A stretchy fabric will allow your mittens to fit snugly and comfortably on your hands, while a non-stretchy fabric may be stiff and restrictive. A fabric with 2-way stretch (meaning it stretches across the width but not the length) is best for most mitten patterns.
- Texture: You want a fabric that feels soft and cozy on your hands, but also durable and easy to care for. A textured fabric can add some interest and style to your mittens, while a smooth fabric can look sleek and elegant. A fabric with a nap (such as fleece or velvet) can be extra warm and fuzzy, but may also shed or pill over time.
- Color and Pattern: You want a fabric that matches your personal style and preference, but also complements your outerwear and accessories. A solid color can be versatile and classic, while a pattern can be fun and eye-catching. You can also mix and match the different fabrics for contrast or color blocking.
Some examples of fabrics that work well for mittens are:
- Wool: Wool is a natural fiber that is warm, breathable, and water-resistant. It comes in various weights and textures, such as wool flannel, wool tweed, or boiled wool. Wool can be expensive and may require dry cleaning or special care.
- Fleece: Fleece is a synthetic fabric that is soft, warm, and lightweight. It comes in various thicknesses and colors, and often has a smooth side and a fuzzy side. Fleece is easy to sew and wash, but may not be very windproof or durable.
- Jersey: Jersey is a knit fabric that is stretchy, comfortable, and versatile. It comes in various weights and blends, such as cotton jersey, wool jersey, or fleece-backed jersey. Jersey is easy to sew and wash, but may not be very warm or water-resistant.
Mitten Pattern Tips and Tricks: Sewing Techniques, Sizing, and Finishing
Sewing mittens can be a fun and rewarding project, but it can also be challenging if you don’t know some tips and tricks to make it easier. Here are some helpful hints to help you sew your mittens successfully:
- Sewing Techniques: When sewing mittens, you need to use some specific techniques to ensure a good fit and finish. Some of these techniques are:Clipping curves: Clipping curves means making small cuts along the curved edges of your fabric pieces before sewing them together. This helps the fabric lie flat and smooth when turned right side out.
- Notching corners: Notching corners means cutting off the excess fabric at the corners of your fabric pieces before sewing them together. This helps reduce bulk and create sharp corners when turned right side out.
- Topstitching: Topstitching means sewing a line of stitches close to the edge of your fabric pieces after sewing them together. This helps secure the seams, prevent fraying, and add some decorative detail.
- Sizing: When sewing mittens, you need to make sure they fit your hands well. To do this, you need to measure your hand circumference (around the widest part of your palm) and compare it to the size chart of your pattern. You may need to adjust the pattern by adding or subtracting seam allowance if your hand size falls between two sizes or if you want a looser or tighter fit.
- Finishing: When sewing mittens, you need to finish them properly to make them look neat and professional. Some of the finishing steps are:Trimming seams: Trimming seams means cutting off the excess fabric along the seam allowances after sewing them together. This helps reduce bulk and make the mittens easier to turn right side out.
- Pressing seams: Pressing seams means using an iron to flatten the seam allowances after sewing them together. This helps create crisp edges and smooth out any wrinkles or puckers.
- Attaching elastic: Attaching elastic means sewing a piece of elastic to the inside of the wrist opening of your mittens. This helps keep the mittens in place and prevent them from slipping off.
Easy Mitten Pattern for Beginners: A Simple and Cozy Design
If you are new to sewing mittens, you may want to start with a simple and easy pattern that doesn’t require a lot of skills or materials. A good example of such a pattern is the free mitten pattern from Gina Renee Designs. This pattern features:
- A one-piece design: This means you only need to cut out one piece of fabric for each mitten, instead of multiple pieces for the front, back, and thumb. This makes the cutting and sewing process much faster and easier.
- A fully lined construction: This means you sew two layers of fabric together for each mitten, one for the outer layer and one for the lining. This makes the mittens warmer, softer, and more comfortable to wear.
- A bow detail: This means you add a cute bow to the back of each mitten, made from the lining fabric. This adds some style and charm to your mittens, and also helps you tell the left and right mittens apart.
To sew this pattern, you will need:
- The downloadable mitten pattern: You can get it for free from Gina Renee Designs. The pattern comes in PDF format and includes sizes XS to XL.
- Mitten fabric: You will need ⅓ yard of medium-weight woven fabric for the outer layer of your mittens. Wool or polyester blends are suggested.
- Lining fabric: You will need ⅓ yard of knit or stretch jersey fabric for the lining of your mittens. Any soft woven or knit fabric will work.
- Elastic: You will need 8 inches of elastic (¼” – ¾” wide) for each pair of mittens. This will help keep the mittens snug on your wrists.
- Embroidery floss and needle: You will need these if you choose to attach the elastic and finish the wrist by hand. You can also use a sewing machine if you prefer.
The sewing instructions are included with the download of the pattern and are easy to follow. You can also watch a video tutorial on how to sew this pattern on Gina Renee Designs’ YouTube channel.
Fleece Mitten Pattern: A Warm and Snug Option for Winter
Fleece is a great fabric choice for sewing mittens, especially for winter. The fleece is soft, warm, lightweight, and easy to sew. It also comes in various thicknesses and colors, so you can find one that suits your style and preference. Here are some benefits of using fleece for your mittens:
- Warmth: Fleece is an excellent insulator that traps heat and keeps your hands cozy. It also has a smooth side and a fuzzy side, which adds some extra warmth and comfort.
- Water-resistance: Fleece is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant, meaning it repels water and dries quickly. This is useful if you encounter snow or rain while wearing your mittens.
- Durability: Fleece is a strong and resilient fabric that can withstand wear and tear. It also does not fray or unravel, so you don’t need to finish the edges or seams.
To sew fleece mittens, you can use any mitten pattern that works with knit fabrics, such as the Jeanne gloves from Charm Patterns or the gloves with faux fur trim from Sew-ing. You can also use a free fleece mitten pattern from Lovely and Enough, which features:
- A two-piece design: This means you need to cut out two pieces of fabric for each mitten, one for the front and one for the back. This allows you to create a thumb gusset, which gives more room and flexibility for your thumb movement.
- A batting layer: This means you add an optional layer of batting between the fleece layers for extra warmth and insulation. You can use cotton or wool batting for this purpose.
- A hand-finished wrist: This means you sew a piece of elastic to the inside of the wrist opening by hand using embroidery floss. This creates a neat and secure finish that also adds some decorative detail.
To sew this pattern, you will need:
- The downloadable mitten pattern: You can get it for free from Lovely and Enough. The pattern comes in PDF format and includes sizes XS to XL.
- Fleece fabric: You will need ⅓ yard of medium-weight fleece fabric for each pair of mittens. You can use any color or print you like.
- Batting fabric: You will need ⅓ yard of cotton or wool batting fabric for each pair of mittens. This is optional, but recommended for extra warmth.
- Elastic: You will need 8 inches of elastic (¼” – ¾” wide) for each pair of mittens. This will help keep the mittens snug on your wrists.
- Embroidery floss and needle: You will need these to attach the elastic and finish the wrist by hand. You can use any color you like, but a contrasting color can add some interest.
The sewing instructions are included with the download of the pattern and are easy to follow. You can also watch a video tutorial on how to sew this pattern on Lovely and Enough’s YouTube channel.
Fun and Creative Mitten Pattern Ideas: Appliques, Embroidery, and More
If you want to add some personality and flair to your mittens, you can try some fun and creative mitten pattern ideas that involve appliques, embroidery, and more. These ideas can help you customize your mittens and make them unique and special. Here are some examples of what you can do:
- Appliques: Appliques are pieces of fabric that are sewn onto another fabric to create a design or pattern. You can use appliques to add some shapes, letters, or images to your mittens, such as hearts, stars, flowers, animals, or initials. You can use any fabric you like for the appliques, but make sure it is compatible with the mitten fabric in terms of weight and stretch. You can also use fusible web or interfacing to attach the appliques before sewing them on.
- Embroidery: Embroidery is the art of decorating fabric with needle and thread. You can use embroidery to add some details, patterns, or words to your mittens, such as swirls, dots, stripes, snowflakes, or quotes. You can use any embroidery thread you like, but make sure it is strong and colorfast. You can also use an embroidery hoop to keep the fabric taut and even while stitching.
- Buttons: Buttons are small fasteners that are usually used to close garments or pockets. You can use buttons to add some embellishment, contrast, or functionality to your mittens, such as buttons on the wrist band, buttons on the back of the hand, or buttons that connect the two mittens together. You can use any buttons you like, but make sure they are not too large or heavy for the mitten fabric. You can also use a buttonhole foot or a hand-sewn buttonhole stitch to make the buttonholes.
These are just some of the many ways you can spice up your mittens with some fun and creative mitten pattern ideas. You can also mix and match different ideas or come up with your own. The only limit is your imagination!
1. How to Sew Flannel Mittens
Stay cozy this winter with handmade flannel mittens! These fleece-lined, flannel mittens will warm your hands and provide maximum comfort. Perfect for cold weather activities like ice skating or sledding, these thin yet functional mittens make the perfect gift. We have perfected our pattern variations to ensure minimal bulk and a snug fit that won’t compromise style or warmth.
Learn how to make your cozy pair of flannel mittens and add a personalized flair to any winter wardrobe! simply, follow DIY’s guidelines and instructions to get your hands on these mittens. originallylovely
2. Fleece Mittens With Faux Fur Lining – Free Sewing Pattern
Keep your hands warm this winter with a pair of cozy fleece mittens! With this free printable pattern, you can quickly make these colorful and stylish mittens – even if you’re not an experienced seamstress. The lining is made from soft faux fur to provide extra warmth.
This fun project suits all skill levels, so don’t worry if this is your first time seeing it! Make your fleece mittens with a faux fur lining today to take on the cold weather in style and comfort. Get ready for winter in style with your handmade fleece mittens. Start now and enjoy feeling toasty all season long. hellosewing
3. Free Printable Snow Mittens Sewing Pattern
Tired of flimsy knit and fleece mittens that don’t keep your child’s hands warm and dry? Make your snow gear part 2: insulated snow mittens are here! The waterproof outer material, a soft inner layer, and thermal insulation in between will keep out the cold while providing comfort. Perfect for snowballs, sled rides, and other winter-related activities.
Keep little hands toasty this season with these insulated mittens! Take advantage of this great trifecta of warmth, comfort, and protection from the elements during outdoor adventures. sewcando
4. Making Your Own Sweater Mittens
Transform your old sweater into something new and cozy with this free pattern – learn how to make beautiful mittens from a beloved sweater. This tutorial will show you how to take an old, worn-out garment needing a second life and turn it into something useful and stylish. Have you seen sweaters being used as mittens before? Well, now is your chance to make the same look for yourself!
With this easy guide, even those with limited sewing experience can make their pair of warm, unique mittens that perfectly match any winter outfit. awellpurposed
5. DIY Fleece Mittens With Faux Fur
Stay warm and cozy this winter by making your fleece mittens with faux fur! This quick and easy project is a great DIY gift for children and adults. With the free pattern from these printable pdf instructions, you can customize your mittens with a layer of soft bear skin faux fur or smooth mink/sherpa mink fleece lining. Use your fabric scraps to make matching fleece hats that will make everyone look stylish and comfortable against the cold weather. Get creative with different colors of fabrics to make matching sets when paired with a cute fleece hat! onlinefabricstore
6. Free Baby Mittens Sewing Pattern
Learn to make the perfect pair of baby mittens with this easy tutorial! These simple instructions ensure your little one’s hands stay warm and snug. The stretchy cuffs are just tight enough to keep the mittens on without being too constricting like elastic can be. Plus, experts guarantee you won’t find any raw edges in this finished product – making these mittens a favorite amongst parents everywhere! So don’t wait – get crafting now and give your baby a stylish way to stay warm all winter! treasuresundert
7. How to Sew Mittens Out of a Felted Sweater
Are you seeking a unique and thoughtful birthday gift for your best friend? Need to learn how to knit but still want to give them some mittens? Look no further! Learn how to make adorable felted sweater mittens in just a few weeks. DIYers understand that store-bought gifts can be overused, so why not make something special with your two hands? All it takes is an old felted sweater, craft supplies, and creativity. With this guide on sewing mittens out of a felted sweater, you’ll have the perfect gift in no time! theartyologist
8. Free Fleece Mitten Sewing Pattern
This free mitten sewing pattern keeps your family’s hands warm and toasty. It comes in children, teen, and adult sizes, so everyone in the family can join in the fun of making handmade fleece mittens! The cute curved design is perfect for cold days, and each pair has a tall cuff to stay securely inside the sleeves. Get creative with colors and patterns – these mittens will also make great gifts for friends and loved ones! Download this free sewing pattern today to start making warm winter accessories. heatherhandmade
9. How to Make Your Own Recycled Sweater Mittens
Stay warm this winter with handmade mittens and a matching hat! This guide will show you how to make the perfect recycled sweater ensemble using an old sweater that’s no longer in style. With just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to craft an incredibly cozy, one-of-a-kind look. Plus, if you’re looking for some last-minute holiday gifts, these cute accessories will surely put a smile on your favorite person’s face! Try out this free pattern today and beat the cold weather in style. shrimpsaladcircus
10. Free Sweater Mittens PDF Pattern
Are you looking for a fun way to stay warm in winter? Upcycled sweater mittens are the perfect solution! Download our free pdf pattern and easy tutorial on how to make your pair of coziest, unique mittens. Everyone will laugh all week long as you show off your creative style – no two pairs are the same! You’ll also be helping the environment by reducing waste, so don’t wait any longer – download this free guide today and get started on your stylish sweater mittens now! seekatesew
11. How to Sew Mittens From Sweater
Save money and repurpose an old wool sweater into a pair of mittens with the free felted sweater mitten pattern. Start by picking out a 100% wool sweater, plus one t-shirt suitable for felting. Use your sewing machine to stitch together the pattern pieces, then feel them in hot water to make thick and durable fabric. Once dried, use pins to shape the fabric into mittens before stitching up any remaining edges with 1-2 yards of wool yarn and a large darning needle. Follow this guide for warm and cozy handmade mittens! makeanddocrew
12. How to Sew Upcycled Sweater Mittens
Transform your old clothes into cozy mittens with this free mitten pattern! Making your fleece, jersey, or even sweater mittens is an easy and fun way to upcycle clothing. Upcycling clothes can help stop the fabric from ending in landfills, contributing to a greener planet. Follow this simple how-to sewing tutorial for making your own handmade and unique pair of upcycled sweater mittens. So why not put those discarded fabrics to good use? Get started today for a sustainable alternative to keep you warm all winter! arosetintedworld
13. Printable Baby Mittens Pattern to Sew
Make your little one’s hands warm and protected with this quick and easy-to-sew baby mittens pattern. Get templates for two sizes that are perfect for any newborn or infant. This tutorial is a great sewing project and a fun way to ensure new moms never worry about their babies scratching their faces or getting too cold during winter. With this pattern, you can make custom-fitted mittens designed to keep tiny hands snug all year round! Try it today and keep your precious bundle of joy safe, comfy, and cozy! sewcraftyme
14. How to Sew Mittens From a Recycled Sweater
Transform an old sweater into a stylish, cozy pair of mittens in just one hour! Learn how to sew mittens from recycled sweaters with this detailed tutorial. We will use the Tova mittens sewing pattern, but you can use any pattern to make your unique look. With just some basic sewing supplies, turn your unwanted sweater into something new for a fraction of the cost! Get creative and make Bernie’s famous mittens that everyone is talking about. Follow these easy steps today and enjoy beautiful handmade mittens all winter long. thelaststitch
15. Free Warm Mitten Sewing Pattern
This tutorial will show you how to make warm mittens with a free mitten-sewing pattern. You’ll have cozy hands all winter, so why suffer from the cold? With this step-by-step guide and free pattern, you can easily learn how to make warm mittens quickly and keep your hands snug and comfortable with these DIY warm mittens – perfect for chilly days or cold weather activities. Get started today and start making these great handmade gifts for family members, friends, or even yourself. Download the free mitten sewing pattern now, and stay warm this winter! happiestcamper
16. Sewing the Tova Mittens for Adults
Make your handmade mittens in less than an hour with this Tova mittens sewing pattern! Learn how to construct a pair of mittens with this step-by-step tutorial, which is perfect for turning old sweaters into something new. No knitting skills are needed – pick up some fabric scraps and get sewing on your regular machine! Get creative and make yourself the cutest mittens around. Follow along with this tutorial, and you could be wearing your homemade mittens in no time at all. thelaststitch
17. Easy Mittens Sewing Pattern for Kids
This winter, keep your little ones warm and cozy with these free patterns for easy kids’ mittens. With all the excitement of snowfall, don’t get stuck rifling through that old winter clothing bag full of gloves, scarves, and hats. These mittens are designed to last from when they were tiny until high school. Find the perfect match quickly and easily–no more scrounging around on the floor! Make a unique look while keeping those hands safe from the cold using this free pattern for easy kids’ mittens today! sewsimplehome
18. Sew Wool Mitten With Fleece Lining
Stay warm and cozy all winter long with these fleece-lined upcycled woodlicious mittens. These mittens are made from felted wool sweaters and offer superior insulation, natural UV protection, mildew/mold, and fire resistance. Ideal for outdoor activities in cold weather, their water-repellent fabric helps keep your hands dry, while natural climate control ensures comfortable wear no matter the temperature. Plus, they’re environmentally friendly, as wool is reusable and biodegradable – a bonus! Find the perfect winter accessory today with our fleece-lined upcycled woodlicious mittens! instructables
19. Make Your Own Fleece Mitten
Keep your hands warm this winter with this free mitten pattern for fleece! This step-by-step tutorial will show you how to make a pair of double-lined, extra-warm mittens with just ⅓ yard of fleece and some sewing essentials. Get ready to keep your fingers cozy in the cold — follow these easy instructions and start crafting today! With this DIY project, learning how to sew has never been easier or more enjoyable. Plus, you’ll have cute new mittens that will last through many winters! Get crafting now with this easy-to-follow project. fleecefun
20. Handstitched Shearling Mittens Pattern
Learn to make handstitched shearling mittens with this easy-to-follow guide! You only need leather goods, patterns, supplies, a rotary cutter, and glover needles. Follow the step-by-step instructions for making your mitten pattern that can be customized to fit any size or shape. With these tools, you can make beautiful shearling mittens that are perfect for keeping warm all season long. Start crafting your unique style today – get your hands on some quality materials and start stitching away!
21. How to Sew Fleece Mittens – Free Pattern
Make warm and cozy mittens with a fleece fun’s free pattern! This step-by-step guide gives you access to the pdf pattern and written directions for sewing your fleece mittens. From cutting fabric to adding a lining, this detailed guide will help you make stylish and comfortable winter accessories. Get started on your project now with fleece fun’s easy instructions! Get the free pattern now and start making your unique mittens today! You’ll be delighted by the result of these handmade mittens that will keep your hands warm all season long.
22. Quick Fur Mitten Sewing Pattern
Are you ready to make a unique and stylish pair of fur mittens? In this video, you will be guided on making homemade fox fur mittens with an easy pattern. You don’t need expensive pelts from foxes or rabbits, as all that’s necessary is old fur that can provide the required fur material. Get started by learning the technology of sewing mittens and get tips for making a pattern without complex calculations. By the end, your hands will be warm with your new handmade knitting project from recycled materials! Watch now and start crafting today!
23. Free Fabric Mitten Sewing Pattern
Learn how to make your adult-sized mittens with this DIY sewing tutorial! This detailed video guide provides step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow. Watch the video and get ready for a fun, hands-on project. Learn how to measure correctly, cut out fabric pieces, sew seams, and add decorative elements – all while making a pair of custom-made mittens. Get started now and make something special! With this comprehensive guide at your side, sewing up a stylish set of warm winter mittens is easier than ever before.
24. How to Sew Leather Mittens
Make your leather mittens with ease! This free pattern and tutorial lets you quickly craft beautiful, stylish mittens. These detailed step-by-step instructions offer a foolproof way to make these stunning accessories. It also includes a video guide so you can watch each step of the process as many times as needed for optimal success. With this DIY project, you can enjoy warm hands and great winter fashion! Get started on making your leather mittens today – it’s easier than ever with this help!
25. How to Make Gloves
Make your gloves with this easy guide! You can make the perfect pair of gloves with simple materials such as spandex, marker, scissors, and a sewing machine. Not only are they useful for general purposes, but they can be used as glove liners too. Follow the instructions in this Instructable and make your customized gloves quickly. Choose from different colors and fabrics for that one-of-a-kind look. Make these comfortable gloves today and show off your skills tomorrow! instructables
Related Free Sewing Patterns
Discover a collection of free sewing patterns for all your crafting needs. Start creating these related patterns today!
- Free Bag Patterns: Get hands on adorable bag sewing patterns to create stylish and functional bags.
- How to Make Cushion Covers: Learn how to sew cushion covers with easy patterns and tutorials.
- Free Patterns for Tops: Discover a collection of free patterns for stylish tops. Create your own unique looks with these easy-to-follow designs.
- Apron Patterns to Sew: Download incredible apron patterns and sew your own stylish and practical aprons.
In conclusion, this collection of 25 free mitten sewing patterns offers diverse options for crafting your own cozy mittens. From flannel to fleece, faux fur to upcycled sweaters, there is a pattern to suit every preference and skill level. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced seamstress, you can follow these step-by-step instructions to create stylish and warm mittens. Discover the joy of making your own mittens and personalize them to your liking. With these free mitten patterns, you can sew beautiful mittens for yourself or as thoughtful handmade gifts. Happy sewing!