Now that the cabin is finished, I wanted to share some other cabin fixer uppers I worked on while waiting (impatiently) for the cabin to be done. And I have to admit, shopping for and fixing up the secondhand stuff we found in the Historic West Bottoms was just as much fun as watching the cabin take shape. (If you are unfamiliar with this part of Kansas City, it’s worth the trip. Antiques, boutiques, clothes, jewelry, food trucks and wine. What more could a girl want?)
FIXER UPPER 1 – MID CENTURY MODERN CHAIR
We scored this mid-century modern chair from one of my favorite stores in the Wet Bottoms, Bella Patina. Both the chair and the foam were still in great shape. All that was done here was a quick re-upholstering of the seat and I covered an overstuffed pillow to use as a back. (Fabric found at JoAnn’s from the Nate Berkus Fabric Collection.)
FIXER UPPER 2 – PINE CHEST
We found this beat up pine chest also at Bella Patina. What I loved about it were the metal strap details across the top and the warmth of the wood. Perfect for a coffee table that could double as storage.
I used steel wool to gently sand off and remove the rust and corrosion.
Voila! Still lots of character without the rusty mess.
Next I used a product called Howard Restor-A-Finish on the outside of the chest. This stuff is magic. Seriously. A light sanding with steel wool, then wipe it on. Let it sit for a bit then polish it off. (But do use a respirator and only use it in a well ventilated area.)
Amazing results! It filled in all the little white scratch marks and even stained over existing watermarks.
These dirty old feet had to go.
So I enlarged the hole that was already there.
And installed these new castor wheels. (And then ran to the hardware store because I forgot to purchase the correct size nuts to hold these tightly in place.)
FIXER UPPER 3 – FUNKY LAMP
These hanging light fixtures were found at another of my favorite stores in the West Bottoms, Top Hat Mercantile.
I loved the cut glass detail and unusual shape of these fixtures. All they needed was a quick touch up to the metal and a new electrical cord.
i just dabbed on Liquid Leaf and it worked great.
And as you can see below, we are enjoying them all.
If you would like to see the progress of our cabin from start to finish, click on “Our Cabin” from the menu above.