Any message can be put on pendants which is one of the reasons I love metal stamping. Names, inspirational sayings, special dates, etc. all can be used. This year I wanted to make something to help remind me of my goals for this year, so I created this simple leather wrap bracelet.
- 1.5 mm distressed leather cord, about 1 yard
- pinch end style clasp and hook
- rectangle pendant, 1- 1/8″ x 3/8″
- round pendant, 1/2″ diameter
- 22 gauge wire, 2 lengths about 6-8 inches long
- chain, used for the extender
- 2 jump rings
- The metal stamps used on this project were 3mm “Bridgette” stamps by Impress Art and 1.5 mm “Gothic” stamps by Beadsmith.
- The pendants used are all by Nunn Designs.
- Guilder’s Paste, black
- pliers and scissors
When stamping, I sometimes like to mix fonts sizes and styles, which I did on the pendants above. I think it adds interest and can highlight special words or meanings. If you are nervous about trying out metal stamping, take a look at my previous post “Metal Stamping Tips + Tricks”. I put together a bunch of how-to photos and alignment tips that walk you through getting started and hopefully boost your confidence to try out metal stamping.
Putting it all together
1. First, cut a piece of leather 3″ long. Put 1/2″ of the leather through the hole in the pendant, fold it back and then wrap the wire around both pieces of leather. Cut another piece of leather 28-1/2″ long and repeat for the other side.
4. Try on the bracelet by wrapping the leather around your wrist 5 times. Keep in mind the leather will stretch over time, so go for a tight fit. Add a dab of E6000 to the longer end of the leather, then attach the loop end of the clasp. Carefully pinch it closed around the leather. Then, use a jump ring to connect the loop to the extender chain. The extender chain makes the bracelet adjustable, and if the leather does stretch you can tighten it.
My words to live by
Bingo. Yep, that’s exactly what I need to do. And that’s also what is very difficult for me.
When I start fussing and worrying about something it’s like my brain is a broken record. I think I’ve worked my way through whatever is bothering me and then my brain just keeps skipping back to it. Over and over and seriously, it’s not productive and I end up just annoying myself and probably others as well. It can be exhausting.
But I want to try and learn to let go. I want to stop worrying, fussing, stressing and learn to be present. However along with this, is the importance of believing that I actually can accomplish this goal. So this bracelet is to help remind me of what I want to achieve, which includes believing that I actually can learn to let go and hopefully be a happier person because of it.