make a yarn ball

winding a yarn ball by hand

Here’s a simple way to make your own center-pull yarn ball if you don’t have a ball winder. It’s a great way to wind yarn that may have been purchased in a hank or wind yarn that has been pulled out to start over on a project.  Either way, it’s an inexpensive alternative to a ball winder.

Making a Yarn Ball

If you are starting with a hank of yarn, untwist the hank and lay it out in a neat ring. Look for the little ties keeping the yarn held together. The ties may match your yarn or be different, and there may be anywhere from 2 to 6 of these ties.  Snip all the ties off, but one of the ties will be the end of your yarn, so DON’T loose this end!

Place the end of your yarn into a pill bottle and close the lid with the yarn still in it.  Start to wrap this end of the yarn around the outside of the pill bottle.

center-pull-yarn-ball-hands-holding
After wrapping the bottle a few times, it’s a good time to grab a friend. Have your friend hold open the loop of yarn as shown in the picture to help prevent tangles. Don’t have a friend? Try sitting on the ground with your legs out straight in front of you and loop it around your feet. (Although don’t get mad at me if your legs cramp!)

Continue winding around the pill bottle, angling and changing the direction of the winding so it begins to form a yarn ball as shown in the pictures. (Note – if you use a pill bottle with a rounded top edge as shown in the pictures DO NOT let the yarn slip above the top edge. If the yarn slides over the top edge, you won’t be able to pull the pill bottle out of the ball.)

When you get near the end of your yarn ball, wrap the last section horizontally around the ball to help hold it all together.  Open the pill bottle lid and pull the bottle out from the center of the yarn ball.

Now that you have finished making your center-pull yarn ball, you can get back to knitting!

Additional Note:  Michele left a comment below and gave me the best suggestion.  She frequently uses recycled t-shirt and cotton fabrics for her projects and I realized a small pill bottle would get swallowed up pretty quickly on the bulky yarns.   I poked around in my spice cabinet and found some much taller plastic bottles with lids (specifically a Molly McButter, haha) that would work great on super bulky yarns and recycled T-Shirts. Thanks Michelle!

center pull ball of yarn

Comments

1. How clever!! Thank you for sharing!! Beautiful ball of yarn too!!

2. What kind/brand is that yarn? Its beautiful!

• ialwayspickthethimble says:

Hi Miki -

It’s a hand dyed yarn by Pagewood Farms. The color name is crayon, but I can’t remember the name of the yarn. :/ I think this is a good example of why NOT to throw away yarn labels! :)

3. Tempie Clark says:

That is awesome!!

4. That is awesome. I might have to try that.

• ialwayspickthethimble says:

Thanks Cody! A ball winder will probably always be better, but in a pinch this works really well!

5. smart! thanks for sharing

I pinned on my page

happy new year

6. What a terrific tute! Thanks so much. I do a lot of recycling tshirts and cotton fabrics for locker hooking and rag rugs, so this tutorial will help me!

• ialwayspickthethimble says:

Hey Michele – you got me thinking…I found much taller plastic bottles with lids in my spice cabinet (specifically a Molly McButter ha,ha) that would be GREAT for super bulky yarns, cotton fabrics, p-yarns etc. Thank you so much for the comment, I would have never thought of it!!

7. For a really fat yarn, try an oatmeal box.

8. Phyllis Carlyle says:

Before putting the hank of yarn on your feet, see if you have a chair back it will fit on (or chair legs upside down.)

9. Ronna magargee says:

I received an iPad for Xmas . I,m having fun learning to use it. What a great idea for making a center pull yarn ball. I,m having fun learning great stuff. Thanks ronna

• ialwayspickthethimble says:

Thanks Ronna! There are all kinds of wonderful knitting blogs and patterns out there on the internet. Enjoy your iPad!

10. What a fabulous idea! Saving this one to use and share with all my knitting/crocheting friends! Thanks for the tutorial!

11. Thank you – worked GREAT!! I used an empty Rx bottle, pop the cap/sink the yard end/then wrap away!

12. I’ve always wondered how my grandma made her yarn balls. One part of our “crocheting lessons” we never got to. No idea if her method was like yours, but just glad I have one mow. Thank you!! :-)

13. Christie Romain says:

If you don’t wind it too tightly a tp cardboard would work in a pinch. Cut a small slice in one end to slide the beginning yarn in to hold it. Thank you for the great idea.

14. I have a novelty yarn wound in a hank with several strands together, one with sequins, another a slinky tape and a third strand. They would not pull well from the center, so my usual manner of winding (like yours) is out. Any suggestions so that I end up with an untangled, easy-to-unwind-as-I-knit ball that has all three strands intact? any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

• ialwayspickthethimble says:

That is a challenge! I would maybe just hand wind it traditionally in a round ball and knit from the outside strands instead of the inside. If you keep the ball in a yarn bowl or some other small bowl with smooth sides while you knit, it won’t have as much of a chance of getting snagged. I hope this helps, Karen.

15. I just used this method with a Chapstick tube and fine thread 20 for crochet and tatting worked great. Thanks.

16. Have you ever tried using a pencil? My aunt taught me that one years ago. Just hold the end along the pencil with your finger and start winding. My yarn comes out looking very similar to ones made on a ball winder.

17. I use my thumb for the center and wind around it. I may have to try the pill bottle method though, it looks like it would be much easier to keep the center thread from getting caught in the ball. Thanks for the tutorial.

• Hey, whatever works right! Especially if you are in the car, on a plane, etc. and don’t have a pill bottle. Thank you for the comment and thanks for reading! k

18. béatrice says: